Monday 15 April 2013

Listmania Thirteen : Guess Who Is Coming To Dinner

Another thought provoking prompt from Deb over at Home Life Simplified this week. If we could invite anyone living or dead to dinner who would we ask and why? I have been mulling this over all week and it has really got me thinking.

My first choice of guests are not famous or well known but without question they are the first two people to come to mind. I would love to have a meal and a catch up with my Mum and my maternal Nana. As they are both no longer with us it is not a real possibility but they are the two people who I wish I could have a chat with. It would be an even bigger bonus if they could both meet my daughter. I would probably twist my Nana's arm and get her to cook the meal as well.

My next two guests would be authors - one living and one dead. I would love to meet Kate Atkinson who is one of my favourite authors. She has written a number of well known books including Behind the Scenes at the Museum and When Will There Be Good News. One of the reasons I find her so interesting is that she published her first novel in her forties so she had a great deal of life experience to draw upon before she started to write. I think she would be very good company and I would be interested to hear about her process of writing her novels.

 

The other author I would invite is Agatha Christie. She lived a long and active life through a fascinating period in history, She was married to a well known archaeologist and travelled all around North Africa and the Middle East assisting at his digs. I think she would be a very interesting conversationalist.


I would also invite Sir Stamford Raffles, the founder of modern Singapore. He was a great adventurer and not your typical 19th century Englishman. I think he would be fascinated to see what the small colony he founded in 1819 has become.

 


There are several living people who I would like to meet and eat with. I am an enormous fan of Stephen Fry so he would certainly make the short list. He is one of the few people I follow on Twitter because he is very pithy in 140 characters.  I think he would take care of the issue of awkward pauses.

 


My final choice would be the British comedian, Eddie Izzard. He is hands down the funniest comedian I have ever seen. I have never laughed so hard as I did at his show. I probably would not get much eaten at this meal but I would be entertained.


Here is a link to an Eddie Izzard riff about Wikipedia if you do not know his work.

My husband has just pointed out that every single guest is British with the exception of my family members. He is right of course. I guess I tend to find English people more interesting.

I am sure if you asked me again next week I would have an entirely different guest list. I would love to know who you would invite to dinner. Please make sure you link up with Home Life Simplified and pop a link in the comments as I would love to check your guest list out.
Post image for Listmania twelve: Childhood favourites

5 comments:

  1. great list...love it
    what an interesting and fun dinner party!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! I'd also love to have Stephen Fry as a guest - I'm sure the conversations would be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome - i am so in love with everyone's guest lists and why...

    your party would be interesting and witty and funny! love it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephen Fry and Eddie Izzard your list equals AWESOME i sooooo want to come

    ReplyDelete