Tuesday 26 June 2012

Back in TIme

One of the papers that really drew me to the Lomography add on with the 35 mm kit was a Heidi Swapp paper called No Limits Schematic. It looks like the blueprints for some large industrial project. I did not really have any idea of how I was going to use it but I kept it aside as a paper I wanted to use the entire sheet of.

I was flicking through my photos yesterday, mulling over which ones I wanted to scrap next, when I came across two photos of Tokyo Tower from our trip in 2011. The photos are not especially fantastic but they are really significant as we drove past there about thirty minutes after the 9 mag quake. They were taken from a moving car and show the tower at quite odd angles. At this point we did not realise just how bad the situation was although we knew the quake had been huge and were starting to worry about how we would get back to our hotel. We did know that being on the Tower during the quake must have been terrifying and there were a number of very upset people around the tower when we drove past.

The photos and the paper seemed to work in my mind so I pulled everything out and this layout came together quite quickly.

 
The Heidi Swapp paper is busy but I do like the end result. The Thickers are AC and what layout is not improved with silver glitter? The diecut is from a recent SC kit and the flair is Marcy Penner. The other font is October Afternoon and the colour does not look so jarring in real life as it appears on my screen. 

I have not done any journalling on this layout as my plan is to pair it with a page of photos I have showing all the displaced people in Tokyo that night. The lobby of our hotel and all the shopping centres around were wall to wall sleeping people and all the restaurants had run out of food. It was a pretty terrifying night as there were a number of large after shocks. 

Has anyone else completed layouts about major world events that they were caught up in? I know we were very lucky but it was still a very dramatic few days and I feel it should be recorded. I would love to be pointed in the direction of any layouts in a similar vein.

1 comment:

  1. Cool layout. I am still working through 35 mm and basically just started on so Cal instead. I like that blueprint paper, and you found the perfect theme for it!

    ReplyDelete