Thursday 15 March 2012

Book Club is Saving My Sanity

I decided this year to be a little more into my own self care. Part of that has been joining WW and taking part in Cathy Z's great class at Big Picture classes. Part of this has been finding more time to rediscover the things I used to love before I was a Mummy.

I have always loved to read. My parents taught me when I was four in an attempt to keep me in bed past my regular five am start and from that day I have always had my nose in a book. Fast forward to Scarlett's arrival and I could count the number of books I have read in the past two years on the fingers of two mutilated hands. I missed reading but sleep became a priority and I have always done the bulk of my reading in bed prior to falling asleep.

I found a book club through Meet Up and attended my first meeting last month. We discussed an interesting book called The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake and I was hooked. It was wonderful to send an evening out talking about books with other Mums. We meet in a lovely cafe at the Botanic Gardens in Singapore. Generally we enjoy a bite to eat and a glass of wine and the conversation is wide ranging. Members come from all over the world  and it is just a good night.

Last night was my second meeting. I was a little worried whether I would get my book finished with our trip but we managed to have enough down time that I was able to reread Lionel Shriver's We Need To Talk About Kevin. It is a very disturbing but well written account of the life of a high school killer and his family. We had a good discussion again. I love the different insights people get from reading the same material.

I have just ordered my copy of Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother which is next month's book. I suspect there will be some divergent opinions on this title. I am looking forward to getting reading.

Have you got anything you do which is purely me time? I would love to know what others do to keep themselves sane through the early childhood years.

Sorry for the lack of photos today but Scarlett has caught a nasty tummy bug so my day has mainly been spent washing bed clothes, pjs and trying to keep her calm and happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment